The Epic CM team is proud to announce the release of CM9 beta1 for Sprint's Samsung Epic 4G. Please follow us on Google+, Facebook, or Twitter for the latest news! This release contains bugfixes and a few minor features since beta0.
Tour of Android 4 CM9 on Samsung Epic 4GChangelog of CM9 beta1 (see previous)
- Voicemail Notification option for those suffering from the "Phantom Voicemail" bug. Phone < menu button > Settings > Voicemail Notifications is disabled by default. Epic users on non-Sprint or overseas CDMA carriers may want to enable this option if they want voicemail notifications.
- CM9 boot animation version 2
- Device Encryption kernel support enabled.
- Currently Untested! Not compatible with CWM! Do not use!
- 1.9MB memory freed by disabling the FIMC1 mmap and reducing mmap usage for the JPEG driver. It is unclear what if any negative effects this causes. crespo is also testing this currently.
- Disable Samsung's mdnie improves color quality.
- New CM9 Features
- Holding Volume Up/Down while screen is off will change the current playing music.
- Settings>Developer Options>Root Access allows you to choose your root access mode.
- Settings>Display>Rotation now has additional rotation options.
- Thanks to user feedback, bbelos decided to leave the Dock Audio behavior as-is. Alarm and ringtones will play from the phone's speaker, not the dock.
- The newly working Sprint Visual Voicemail (see Customization Guide) has a few glitches, the most annoying of which is that it does not block the text messages from 9016 that you receive when there is a new voicemail. We will fix this eventually.
- When using a wired headset, users have reported that the microphone volume is too low, making it difficult to be understood on the phone.
- These issues are targeted to be fixed by, or after the crespo kernel merge. bbelos is making good progress on the kernel-3.0.x port. Not booting yet but getting closer.
- CM9 for Epic is missing 5 of the 8 motion sensors usable in Gingerbread. This apparently is the cause of auto-rotation not working for the minority of users. Many of these users are able to make auto-rotation work by calibrating sensors using the temporary sdcard EL30. Thanks to Joseph Shugzda for identifying this issue!
- Maximum speaker volume is much smaller than Samsung's ROMs.
If you appreciate this work, please consider supporting the Epic CM team. Thank you!